Thursday, May 17, 2012

why i love the internet - no. 01

It's spring and that means two things, the recently remodeled Fulton Street Farmer's Market has opened and rhubarb is in season. I had way too much fun for 8:30 in the morning this past Saturday, strolling through the market with my roommate Kristen. We ran into a handful of the many people she knows in town and had a delicious breakfast from What the Truck. In an attempt to eat seasonally, I came away with a pound of rhubarb, among other things. The only problem is that my favorite rhubarb accompaniment, the strawberry, is decidedly not in season.

Wondering what I should do with this beautiful red fruit (root?), I sought the pinboard of my friend Sara (sidenote: you know you're a child of the 80s if you have at least 3 friends named Sara(h), right?), who had brought a delicious rhubarb cake to one of our book club meetings recently. From the at least three or four rhubarb pins residing near the top of the page, I chose the recipe for Whole Wheat Rhubarb Muffins. This morning was a perfect time for attempting this fairly simple recipe. I subbed greek yogurt for the sour cream and they turned out wonderfully. A perfect accompaniment to a glass of iced coffee.

So, why do I love the internet? Because when I posted to Sara's pin a little thank you for sharing the recipe, she commented back a couple hours later that she had some in the oven right now. Serendipity. Shared Interests. Connections that wouldn't normally be made. This is why I love the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment