Thursday, May 3, 2012

words of wisdom.

This week I've had a little trouble sleeping. Those late nights have a tendency to reveal the true nature of our souls. What troubles us, where we seek refuge, whose voice we listen to... these truths tend to become more evident when the sky is dark and there's nothing around to push them from our minds.

When those moments of late-night restlessness come, I'd like to think I would always turn to the Bible. Though honestly it is not always my first stop, when I finally get there I find God often speaks through the Psalms. And last night was no different.

Context is important when you're reading the Bible and this passage is no different, so do read Psalm 81 at some point to get what this is really about. What stood out to me when I read this yesterday though were two verses. 

I am the Lord your God,
    who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.
     Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.
Psalm 81:10
and 
But he would feed you[e] with the finest of the wheat,
and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.
Psalm 81:16

The whole passage is about listening to God. But I felt like God was reminding me specifically why I should listen. I needed to remember that there is nothing worth seeking outside of Him. It's stated so clearly - come to Him first and He will satisfy you. The imagery is so powerful, "Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it." I want to become someone who truly believes this and seeks it out. Not just in the dark hours of the night but in the middle of the day when everything seems perfect.

On a similar but lighter note, I came across this quote last week and thought it was just the best.

“… everything is falling into place perfectly as long as you don’t get too picky about what you mean by place. Or perfectly.” story people

Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment